Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, Earth Day, and Christmas and also for lovers or monsters or all things green, these super colorful muffins get their bright hue from spinach (but we promise, you won’t taste it in the final product!).
Makes 36 muffins
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1.5 cups rolled oats
3 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
1.5 tablespoons ground flaxseed
2 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
5 tablespoons oil (melted coconut, grapeseed, or canola)
½ cup honey or maple syrup
¾ cup plain whole milk yogurt
4 apples, chopped
3 cups packed baby spinach
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tins.
2. Core apples and then chop into 1-inch pieces, leaving the skin on. Add apples and spinach to a food processor, and pulse until nearly pureed.
3. In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
4. Whisk the wet ingredients in a large bowl. Add in apple-spinach mixture until well combined. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Do not over mix.
5. Fill each muffin tin ¾ of the way up. Bake for 20 minutes.